Using OSCommerce For Building Robust E-Commerce Solutions
Some of the most prominent features of OSCommerce are as follows :
- Compatible with PHP 4 and MySQL – easily portable to version 5
- Compatible with all major browsers.
- Multi-lingual English, German and Spanish by default.
- Automatic web-based installation.
- Unlimited number of products and categories.
Automatic setup of e-commerce payment systems: Authorize.net, Netbilling.com, 2Checkout.com, iPayment.de, PayPal.com, PsiGate.com, SECPay.com, and TrustCommerce.com; Many other add-on ecommerce payment systems, off-line (manual) credit card payments, and on-line payment processing.
- Multi-currency support via manual update from exchange rate server.
- Support for dynamic images (one image per product).
- Supports physical products as well as product downloads.
- Web-based administration module.
- Database backup and restore.
- Temporary and permanent shopping carts.
- Secure transactions with SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) support.
- Many shipping options including by weight, price, or destination.
- Real-time shipping quote integration with UPS, USPS.
- Zone-based shipping options as well as a free shipping option as part of Order Totals Module.
- Full tax functionality, included compounded taxes, different zones for different products.
- Easy installation of osCommerce;
- Unlimited number of items;
- Unlimited number of categories;
- Multiple Languages;
- Custom Currencies;
- Custom taxes and shipping modules;
- Optional secure shop (requires usage of SSL certificate);
- Multiple payment gateways to choose from, additional modules available for download;
- Best selling items’ category;
- Ability to add Search engine friendly (SEF) URL’s;
- Option to backup and upgrade the osCom system;
Now, unlike my previous posts where I have been writing mostly about blogging and related things, I decided to come up this time with this information on OSCommerce. Honestly, I haven’t been paid anything for writing all these. For me, it is all based on my experience with the same where I still find OSCommerce as one of the most versatile systems for building an effective eCommerce solution.