How I dealt with malware infection on my site and my machine ?
Recently my machine was struck with a malware. There is a difference between malware and virus is that Malware is more hidden, difficult to detect and privacy killer. Malwares often cannot be detected by ordinary antivirus.
I like to play around with wordpress a little. Due to this I have lot of inactive plugins that are lying on my local wordpress installation. A few of those plugin use a file knows as Timthumb.php. This file is used to create smaller images of the images that are stored in your wordpress blog. The problem is that timthumb has a problematic code, if not corrected can lead to hackers using it to plant malicious code into your wordpress which can be hacked by any hacker.
- Keep a good backup always.
- Keep the keys of purchased software.
- You might not be able to recover your machine if root kit is infected.
- Before copying your data to another machine do a full scan.
- Keep Virus definitions updated.
- Invest in a good anti-malware software.
- Delete unnecessary plugins/themes from your word press directory.
- Do not store your password in Filezilla.
- Keep the firewall running.
- Try to change the password frequently.
Ashvini Kumar Saxena is an entrepreneur, blogger and wordpress lover. He writes on entrepreneurship, leadership and motivation. You can find some really good articles on entrepreneurship at his site http://aks-blog.com