“I am the IT administrator of Office 365 enterprise account in my office. Under my control, there are around 60 to 70 employees who uses Exchange Online tenant for official purpose. However, I want to download data of my entire account along with user’s mailboxes on the local machine. Initially, I implemented the manual measure to perform this but, it got failed due to consumption of more than 2 days in process completion. This approach consumed my lots of hard work along with precious time but, did not gave me any output at the end. Now I want a solution that is comparatively easy than the manual one and also gives the fast response to my work. Can anyone suggest whether this kind of approach is available in today’s date or not?”
Alike the above posted query, there exists many complaints on technical forums and social networking sites. An Office 365 admin or user searches for solution to export Office 365 mailbox to PST. Attempting the manual and free procedure for the same requires high level of technical knowledge regarding eDiscovery PST export tool and PowerShell commands. However, if a single thing goes wrong while their implementation then in no time, this affects all other existing data / program in disastrous manner. Therefore, here we are available with a hassle-free and simple workaround that provides direct solution to download Office 365 mailbox to PST including emails, contacts, calendar and tasks.
Steps to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST without using eDiscovery Automatically
Depending upon the type of Office 365 tenant, you can choose anyone of two illustrated methods.
Method 1 : When the O365 Account is of An Administrator
1. Free Download Office 365 export program and open it on your PC. Click on Login button
2. Check the checkbox of ‘Is Admin’ field because the steps are based upon the administrator of Exchange Online tenant.
Note : The Admin account must be impersonated for the migration purpose.
3. Enter the email address and password of Admin account and then, click on Sign In button to proceed
4. Now all the user ids, which are available under specified Admin account gets listed in front of you. Enable the checkbox of user ids whose data is to be exported by this solution and click on Next
5. Enable the radio of ‘Microsoft Outlook (PST)’ option to export Office 365 mailbox to PST
6. If you want to break the output Outlook data file then, choose Split Options for Outlook data file and mention the size in which you want to split the files.
Note : This step is only applicable when you are choosing PST as output file format
7. Choose the mailboxes of Office 365 tenant, which you want to save in PST file.
8. If you want to apply filters while migrating the O365 mails, calendars, and tasks then, click on Date Filter >> Set. After this, you have to make the settings for eliminating unwanted data from exporting procedure.
9. Click on Browse button to define the location where resultant file is to be saved on local machine.
9. A ‘Browse for Folder’ pane will appear in which you have to navigate and choose the destination path. Click on OK to continue with exporting of Office 365 mailboxes to PST format.
10. Click on Start button to begin the process of migrating O365 emails to Outlook.
11. A ‘process status’ screen will appear where you can view live report of the entire procedure.
12. When the process gets completely finished, the status will be ‘completed’ with an option to Save Report.
13. If you want to save the report of entire operations then, you can click on ‘Save Report’ button and select its path.
14. After this, close all windows of the opened program and navigate towards the path, which you have mentioned in Step (10). Here, you will find all the PST files of users account that were selected from Admin tenant in Step (4)
Method 2 : When Office 365 Account is of a Single User
The following migration steps to export Office 365 mailbox to PST file are for the Exchange online single user, not for the administrator :
1. Launch Office 365 Export software and click on Login
2. Enter the email address and password of Exchange Online user account and click on Sign in.
3. All the folders and sub-folders of the mentioned account will be listed in front of you. Either chose all or any of them for exporting purpose and then, click Next
4. After this, follow the same steps as of Method (1) to export Office 365 mailbox to PST file. This means that you have to implement Step (e) to (o) for accomplishing the entire procedure
The blog describes each and every step of exporting Office 365 mailboxes to PST with screenshots. The solution comprises of no limitation within it and guarantees 100% maintenance of existing data. Mailboxes before and after migration procedure will be same. The workaround explained in this content only requires MS Outlook email program installed on machine with credentials of Office 365 account whose data is to be moved in Microsoft Outlook. PST files created from this approach is UNICODE, which is supported easily in MS Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 version.