Sometimes, the requirement is obvious but there are times when you come across some exceptional demand, the situation is a bit difficult to handle. Recently, I came across the need of moving all mails of a Lotus Notes mailbox into Word files and honestly, this was quite new for me.
There were thousands of mails and my search for a free solution was fruitless. Manually moving the messages and that too with attachment was impossible. But when there is a will, there is a way! My online research made me familiar with a wonderful tool that converts the Notes NSF file into Doc files and it did all that was required.
Lotus Notes to Word Converter is a Windows based utility that converts the emails from NSF file to Doc files. It is a small sized tool and the best part is, the output received is in an organized manner. The product is a development of renowned brand in the market that specializes in data recovery and email migration solution.
The software has a list of features that ensures easy migration of messages from all mail folders. Here are some impressive facilities that are offered in the tool along with email migration from NSF file to Word file.
- Convert NSF File to Doc File: The emails saved in Lotus Notes username.nsf file can be saved into Doc file. Messages from all mail folders including Inbox, Sent Items, or User defined folders can be exported into Word file.
- Migrate Email with Attachment: The software application moves the emails into Word file along with its attachments. The attachments will get saved into different folder with email subject line.
- Check out Email Details: Once the NSF file is scanned by the tool, it will enlist all the messages within a folder on the right pane. Along with this, detail of every message, i.e. subject, sender, size etc. will be displayed on screen.
- Select NSF Folder to Convert: The software gives option to select the mail folders in NSF file for export. This ensures that the overall time for migration is reduced and only the crucial messages are migrated.
Downloading and installing the product on any Windows machine is a simple process. Once this is down, the following procedure has to be followed for successfully migrating the emails from NSF file to Word document.
Click on the “Browse” button to select the NSF file. Navigate to the drive in system where the NSF file is saved, select it, and click Open.
Click on the “Start Scan” button to initiate NSF file scanning. The details of file scanning will be displayed on screen.
When the scanning in done, software will inform about it through a message on screen.
All mail folders of NSF file along with the email count will be available in the left pane of the tool. The details of individual mails will be on right pane of the screen. Click on “Start Conversion” to get started with NSF emails to Word file migration.
Define a destination location where the output, i.e. the Word files should be saved.
Live status report of total number of mails and number of mails migrated will be available on screen.
Found: Total Number of Emails in NSF File.
Current: Number of mails Migrated while processing.
Click on “Export Emails to Word Document” button to get started.
Discussing the Pros and Cons:
- In single attempt, all emails of the NSF mailbox can be exported into individual Doc files.
- The emails are saved with folder hierarchy. For mail folders, different folders will be created.
- The processing speed of the tool is quite impressive. The overall migration time is fine.
- The software saves the Lotus Notes emails into Doc file which is compatible with lower MS Word edition.
- Lotus Notes environment is necessary if NSF files are to be converted into Doc files.
At its basic functioning, the Lotus Notes to Word Converter works superbly well. However, it can be improved if some options for customizing the migration are added. Considering the good points and improvement scope, I would rate this wonderful utility 7/10.